A well-designed admission office and welcome center is an essential asset in the college visit experience. Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) has been commissioned to design eight admission offices and visitor centers in the last 10 years. Through this expertise, our team has distilled the best practices for the design of these facilities into the following elements that can increase the effectiveness of a campus visit.
- Choreograph the Arrival Sequence – Keep in mind location, accessibility, and first impressions.
- Create a Memorable Experience with Emotional Connections – Does the building serve as an ambassador for the college brand, conveying the university’s mission and identity through its architectural expression?
- Enhance the Presentation – Use design principals punctuated with technology and graphic displays to communicate information and make a lasting impact.
- Provide Effective and Efficient Work Space – Understand staff and administrative needs to design spaces that work and function well.
- Be Open to New Ideas – Benchmarking tours of other spaces can be a useful tool for expanding imaginations.
Read more about these and other best practices in the articles written by Lori Garrett, FAIA, our in-house expert and Director of Higher Education Studio.