The Robert H. Smith Center at Montalto received an Award of Merit in the Historic Preservation Category from the Virginia Society AIA. Overlooking Monticello, on the adjacent hill known as Montalto, the Repose house was built c. 1903 for a Philadelphia land baron, J. A. Patterson. The current rehabilitation of the house creates a world-class extension of the Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies. Repose has been adapted and expanded to provide for multiple new functions as a meeting space, teleconferencing center, facility for visiting dignitaries and event space. This new facility has become the “upper campus” for the Thomas Jefferson Foundation property.